Friday, October 21, 2005

Tracking your marketing efforts

Hello fellow marketer.

Have you started to implement some or all of the suggestions I have for you here? Did you get your free marketing e-book yet? If you didn't, do it. It's packed with superior information and I don't know how long I'm going to be just giving it away.

Anyway, today I'm going to be talking about tracking your marketing efforts. It is one of the most important aspects of marketing. How else will you know what works and what doesn't?

As you know by now, you have to test different strategies in order to really succeed with your marketing. So it is very important to track your efforts.

Before I knew that, or better yet didn't pay much attention to it some very srange things would happen to me. You see, way back at the beginning I was - and still am - very prone to experiments. I would set up a few marketing strategies and wait for the results. Sometimes a huge boost in traffic and clickthrough would happen, but since I set up dozens of such experiments, I eventually didn't know what exactly caused it. I didn't put five more minutes of effort into actually setting up a tracking system to tell me exactly what worked and what didn't.

Well, not any more. Every marketing experiment from then on is controlled, measured, fine-tuned... you should do it too. You should know where your visitors come from and why. If you know, you can do more of that. For example, if you posted your comments on 50 blogs and 20 forums and now see a great boost in traffic. Nice, but not all of them are sending you equal ammounts of trafic. Some send you 1 visitor, some 30 and one or two 100. Well, if you know which ones those are, you can go back and post some more so your link doesn't get lost in all the comments.

That's what happened to me. I did exactly that (but then in a bit smaller scale). Boom, a great boost in traffic - but from where? In a few days it was gone and I'd have to go back to ALL of those blogs and post another comment. Here's a great free tracking tool: http://www.statcounter.com

It's also a good idea to create channels with your Adsense:

That way you'll exactly know which page made you the most money and when. The more specific your reports are the better.

Have a great weekend.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home